College of Southern Maryland
8730 Mitchell Rd
PO Box 910
La Plata, MD 20646-0910
CSM is unveiling the new website in mid-September. (Marketing will be providing more information on the roll-out.) This home page is updated. The other DLF pages are under construction, as DLF transitions from the old to the new website.
Registration Process for DLF Workshops - New for Fall 2015
- CSM began utilizing Online Services for professional development workshops. This is the same tool where you input grades and where students register for classes.
- Faculty, adjuncts, and staff will now use Online Services to (1) register for DLF workshops; (2) see their “grade” earned; (3) see the CEUs earned; and (4) print transcripts.
- The following DLF Training Guide walks you through the registration process -- How to Register for DLF Professional Development Workshops
- If you are presenting a workshop, the following DLF Training Guide explains the process -- Instructions for DLF Workshop Instructor/Presenter
Student Blackboard Orientation
- DLF offers multiple orientations at La Plata, Leonardtown, and Prince Frederick campuses at the beginning of the semester.
- If you have students who need help with Blackboard, please refer them to one of the scheduled orientations -- Fall 2015 Student Blackboard Orientation
- All Blackboard Training during the pre-semester has been updated to include specific training on working with Bb Grade Center, adding syllabi in Bb, and recording attendance in myProgress.
- We are creating several Training Guides for those who prefer to work from home or at their own pace. Please check back, as we will add Guides over the next several weeks. Note that we are also working on making these Guides into online/video sessions.
- NEW TRAINING GUIDE -- How to Setup Grade Center Without Using Bb Course Tools(This Guide is for instructors who do not use Bb tools such as Assignments, Quizzes, and Discussions.)
- NEW TRAINING GUIDE --How to Add a Syllabus & Organize the Course Menu
- NEW TRAINING GUIDE -- How to Enter Attendance in myProgress
DLF Central Line
- Extension 7572 is the new central line for DLF. Please use this if you have Blackboard related questions. This extension rings to all DLF team members.
DLF New Team Members
- Kristy Stevens is our new Administrative Assistant. She will also be administering the Adjunct Certification process and the Faculty Development Conferences/Travel program. Kristy is located in LR202.
- Heather Zeolla is our new Faculty Development Coordinator. She coordinates the DLF faculty development events. In addition, Travel Study and Service Learning are now part of DLF under Heather's continued coordination. Heather is located in LR205.
- Wesley ("Wes") Robbs is our new Student Assistant. He will be primarily helping instructors with Blackboard and technology questions. Wes is located in LR202A (the Faculty/Adjunct Lab room).
DLF Faculty Development Conferences/Travel
Note that if you want to request reimbursement for a course or certification, contact Human Resources. The policy is HR 4160 in the Online Administrative Manual at http://www.csmd.edu/Faculty/AdminManual/
- CSM changed the Travel Policy as of July 1, 2015. Therefore, DLF procedures and forms have been revised.
- Review the new DLF Procedures -- DLF Procedures for Faculty Development/Conferences/Travel
- Review the new CSM Travel Policy, FM2500 at the Online Administrative Manual - http://www.csmd.edu/Faculty/AdminManual/
- To apply, complete the online form, Request for Faculty Development Conference Funding (nicknamed, the "Request Form) -- online form to request funding for faculty development workshops/conferences.
- If your application is approved, you will receive an email from DLF with the registration form for CSM's new online database system.
- Submit your expenses using the new form -- Faculty Development Expense Reimbursement Form (nicknamed, the Reimbursement Form) -- Reimbursement Form
- If you need documentation to show you attended DLF workshops, the new Online Services process will help. See the DLF Training Guide above (How to Register for DLF Professional Development Workshops). It walks you through the steps to see/print your transcript.
- If you need documentation for DLF workshops before Fall 2014, please contact DLF. We have pdf transcripts for these older workshops.
DAA/DLF Training Room
- We finally have a dedicated training room for DAA!
- LR206 will be up and running during the pre-semester. It contains 18 desktop computers, multiple projectors, and multiple whiteboards.
- We hope to have an open house during the Fall 2015 semester.
DLF LR202 new Door Access
- LR202 is soon to get a OneCard swipe reader for after-hour access.
- If you frequently use LR202 after-hours, you will need to complete a CSM form, approved by the DLF Division Chair. Contact DLF for the form and instructions.
Hosted Learning Management System (LMS) Evaluation Project
- The Hosted LMS Evaluation Project is ongoing. CSM is researching and evaluating options to move to a hosted learning management system. We currently use a self-hosted system.
- The following research reports are related to this Project - The Current Ecosystem of Learning Management Systems in Higher Education at http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ers1414.pdf, and The Next Generation Digital Learning Environment at http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/eli3035.pdf
- The University of Missouri published a summary of its LMS Evaluation Project; the following link contains the pdf report -- http://lmsreview.missouri.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/LMS-recommendation_Official.pdf
- Thanks to all the faculty, adjuncts, staff, and students who have been involved with this project.
- There will be a pre-semester workshop to update you on this project.
- In addition, DLF created the following website to summarize the progress -- http://lmshosting.weebly.com/
DAA Administrative Assistants Bb Access
- Our DAA Administrative Assistants will have a new role in Blackboard. This will help DAA function more efficiently.
- Training for the AAs will take place in September.
- Adjunct Certification - DAA will be reviewing the Adjunct Certification process in an attempt to streamline this great program!
- Template Shells - We are working on creating master templates for face-to-face courses (web-enhanced), web-hybrid courses, and web courses.
- Master Course Shells - In addition, we are working with faculty to create master course shells.
- Review & Approval of Web Course Shells - We are just finishing up a pilot project with CAH that uses a two-step process for review and approval of web course shells.
- ADA Compliance - We are working with other CSM Departments to verify our learning content is ADA compliant. In addition, we are developing templates for Word documents and PowerPoint presentations.
- Video Workshops - We offer workshops on a wide range of topics including the following: Basic Skills, Learning Management System (Blackboard), Technology Tools, Teaching Methods, Special Topics, Leadership, and Enrichment. We are working on creating and converting workshops to online/video formats.
- New Workshops - We are developing new workshops on the feedback from the 2015 Faculty Interest & Needs Survey. Thanks to the 130 instructors who submitted feedback!
- New Faculty Orientation (Permanent and Temporary) as part of the Faculty Academy
- Adjunct Saturdays (workshops and business meetings)
- Faculty Mentoring program
- Awards for Adjunct Service Hours
- Adjunct Shadow Mentoring program
- Captioning and Video Conversions